Raw Feeding Guide - Handling Raw Dog Food Safely
The Pet Food Manufactures Association has launched a brand new guide to help with tips on handling raw dog food safely:
What is raw feeding?
Providing a diet of raw food for cats and dogs made up of raw meat, offal and raw bone, along with other ingredients such as fruit, vegetables and oils.
We believe that feeding a raw food diet is as simple as:
1) Freeze 2) Defrost 3) Prepare 4) Enjoy 5) Clean & Repeat
Hygiene and handling tips:
Good hygiene practice is always important when handling fresh, frozen or freeze-dried raw food, here is your guide below:
1. Purchase products that are in good condition.
2. Wash your hands with hot water and soap after handling either your pet or their food and its packaging.
3. Immediately after each use, wash and disinfect all surfaces, dishes, and utensils that have prepared the raw food.
4. Remove and carefully dispose of any uneaten raw pet food, as soon as your pet has finished eating.
5. Clean and disinfect your pet’s feeding area once your pet has finished eating. Recommendation is 15-20 minutes.
When buying prepared raw foods you can find the storage instructions on each package.
Defrosting raw pet food tips:
• Defrost in an airtight, leak-proof container at the bottom of the fridge.
• Never discard the thaw juice as this can contain essential nutrients for your pet.